To read an article from the print magazine online, please enter the web code below, which can be found in the magazine under the article.

https://www.getdigital.de - Gadgets und mehr für Computerfreaks

Enhanced flexibility and customer value


HAHN Automation is a medium-sized, privately owned provider of advanced automation solutions for manufacturing. The company employs over 540 people, turns over 85 million EUR and comprises four business units: Assembly and Inspection Technology, Material Handling, Components and HAHN ENERSAVE.

The latter is a spin-off of the Components division and specializes in temperature and cooling systems for injection moulding equipment. Headquartered in Rheinböllen in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, HAHN Automation has production and service operations in Croatia, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, China, Mexico and USA.

The company was founded as an engineering office by Thomas Hähn in 1992. In the middle of the 1990s, HAHN Automation started its own manufacturing and assembly activities.

“Simultaneously, we built up substantial know-how in the areas of electrical engineering and software development,” explains Frank Konrad, one of three Managing Partners of the company.

In 2000, HAHN Automation set up its first international subsidiary in the USA – a step which marked the beginning of the company’s development into a global player in the automation technology market.

Last year, HAHN Automation was joined by a fourth partner, the company RAG-Stiftung Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH, in order to support its continued global growth.

The latest milestone in the company’s development was the merger between HAHN Automation and the Swedish company WEMO Automation AB which was completed this May.

HAHN Automation has a total of 540 employees, including 340 at the company’s headquarters in Rheinböllen. The company expects to achieve sales of 85 million EUR in the current financial year.

“This would be over 10% more than last year,” says Mr. Konrad. “Automation technology is a clear growth market whose potential has not been fully tapped yet on a global scale. Two of the most dynamically evolving markets for us are Mexico and Asia. Our goal is to be our customers’ automation partner across the globe.”

HAHN Automation is also at the forefront of Industry 4.0, the fourth industrial revolution, which includes intelligent, cyberphysical production systems where individual machines communicate with each other using web-based technologies.

“Within the next ten years, 90% of all production facilities will have adopted digitally controlled manufacturing technologies,” Mr. Konrad describes the rapid change of the way things are made.

HAHN Automation generates approximately 80% of its revenues with custom-engineered assembly and inspection equipment for automotive applications. The remaining 20% of the company’s business falls to components for the plastics industry, such as feeding robots for injection moulding machinery or tailor-made tempering and cooling solutions.

HAHN Automation distinguishes itself from other automation technology providers through its complete coverage of the value chain.

“We offer everything from a single source, from project development and design to machining and manufacturing through to software engineering, assembly and installation,” explains Mr. Konrad. “In addition, we provide comprehensive after-sales services, including maintenance, express repairs and upgrades, on a worldwide basis.”

As a globally operating automation technology provider, HAHN Automation achieves 65 to 70% of its sales with international customers. The company aims to be as close to its customers as possible to offer 100% individually tailored solutions.

At the same time, HAHN Automation puts great emphasis on constant personnel development and further training. “60% of our engineering staff have started their career with us, in the context of part-time and dual study programmes,” states Mr. Konrad.

To further grow its position in the international automation market, HAHN Automation is continuously expanding its technological expertise in the sector.

In addition, the company aims to develop new application segments for automation technology to spread risk. “At present, we are focusing on measurement and testing technology to provide turnkey solutions in this fast evolving market, too,” concludes Mr. Konrad.

Bewerten Sie diesen Artikel