Webcode:

To read an article from the print magazine online, please enter the web code below, which can be found in the magazine under the article.

https://www.getdigital.de - Gadgets und mehr für Computerfreaks

High-tech cancer therapy

Portrait

Social Media
Share this article

Uncontrolled exposure to radiation is known to cause cancer in humans. However, this very same poison provides an effective way of treating, and hopefully, eradicating cancerous tumours. Radiology, radiotherapy and nuclear medicine all make use of targeted doses of radioactive substances to identify and treat disease.

Founded in 1990, Medipass began providing services relating to magnetic resonance scanning (MRI) equipment. It has since expanded to support hospitals in the process of technological innovation, particularly in the sectors of Nuclear Medicine and Radiotherapy for cancer treatment.

Founder and CEO Guglielmo Brayda di Soleto spent more than ten years practicing as a neurologist before founding Medipass: “I created Medipass to supply high-tech health services for oncological therapy to private and public healthcare facilities in Italy and internationally. Since the beginning, we have been one of the most qualified partners to public and private hospitals and healthcare facilities in Italy and abroad.”

Today, Medipass manages a broad spectrum of hospital technology parks, radiology units, nuclear medicine and radiotherapy departments, with over 9,400 machines currently in use. “Enhancing patient care is at the forefront of our activities,” says Mr. Brayda di Soleto. “We manage the technical side so that doctors and medical practitioners can focus completely on patients. My background as a neurologist gives me a unique view from both sides and an understanding of the services that will best ease the burden on doctors in times of increasing demand.”

Of the almost 10,000 machines currently managed by Medipass, 170 are high-tech devices including linear accelerators (LINAC), PETCT and Spect-CT scanners, radiopharmacy units with cyclotrons, angiography units and hybrid operating rooms.

Guglielmo Brayda di Soleto
We currently manage the technology within two of the most important NHS Cancer Health Care Centres in the UK: Belfast City Hospital and the St. James Institute of Oncology in Leeds. Guglielmo Brayda di SoletoCEO

These represent the cutting edge of medical therapeutic equipment and are an invaluable tool in a hospital or clinic’s arsenal. “LINAC linear accelerators, for example, are the gold standard in oncology therapeutics worldwide,” explains Mr. Brayda di Soleto. “We currently manage the technology within two of the most important NHS Cancer Health Care Centres in the UK: Belfast City Hospital (10 linacs) and the St. James Institute of Oncology in Leeds (12 linacs).”

Medipass has operated in the UK market through a subsidiary company, Medipass Healthcare Ltd. since 2011. In the same year, it also established ClearMedi in New Delhi to serve the Indian market. “We already operate 15 radiotherapy, nuclear medicine and diagnostic imaging departments in private hospitals across India and expect this number to grow in India’s rapidly expanding market,” says Mr. Brayda di Soleto. “We currently automonously manage over 300 hospital beds in self-sufficient tertiary-care hospitals. This year, we launched three independent super-specialty hospitals in India, focussed on oncology and tertiary care.”

The rapid expansion of the Indian middle class and an accompanying rise in longevity mean that diseases of ageing, such as cancer, will also rise in the future. “Innovation and competition between the manufacturers of high tech scanning and diagnostic equipment is certain to increase in the future as demand grows,” says Mr. Brayda di Soleto. “At the same time, the outsourcing of such services will increase at a similar pace. For the healthcare providers this brings cost benefits and for us it brings further business opportunities.”

An example is a big project in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in which Medipass has been invited to participate. For Medipass, more and more of these opportunities will be found in emerging markets abroad. Turnover is currently focused primarily on the domestic market with 70% of its 70 million EUR annual income generated in Italy and the remaining 30% generated in the UK and India.

However, this ratio is expected to narrow in the coming years. “In Italy, we are one of the market leaders in a mature market,” says Mr. Brayda di Soleto. “In the UK, we are one of several providers and in India, we have a relatively small share of a market that is still in its infancy. Although there are bigger competitors vying for market share, we have unrivalled expertise on our side.”

TOP